Monday, April 8, 2013

No Neil, Neil, it's madness this week.


Well hello Family!
It’s that time of the week and my 1 year mark this past 4th...WHOOOOOOOOOOO that's crazy to think I have been gone for so long! And I still don't know Korean...

So this week has been a fun one that's for sure. On Tuesday we had an appointment with the sisters to go help them teach an investigator and for some reason the sisters in our area had an appointment over scheduled the other appointment. So to make a long story short we ended up having three set of missionaries at the appointment...it was a good meeting and we ended up playing a game called "Big Booty". I ended up teaching it to a bunch of missionaries and the family and it was fun. Then the same day we met with our new investigator whom is only 15ish and we found out he just wants to play ping pong with us so...we had to put him back in God’s hands for now... But a crazy thing happened when we were taking him back home; a random American runs up to Elder Roberson and asks, “Hey Elders have you had dinner yet?” But while he was talking to him I ran into a guy that I had talked with maybe a week or two ago. He remembered me and said that he is going to call so he needs help with English (and religion hehe) so after we said goodbye to our investigator and the guy we met on the street. We went with the American guy to go get some food, we then found out he had just barely got off a mission and he served in California Korean speaking mission and he is here for some school living with his aunt who happens to be our member!! So turns out he is our jurisdiction. Haha he really likes coming to English class and helping out! So it’s really cool. Speaking of English class, I’m still teaching the kids...whoa that’s hard work I have ended up bribing them with yu-gi-oh cards haha they are cheaper than candy here, so I have them focus so they can get a card. Ah the joys of service work! 

Then also this week we were calling members to see if we could meet with their husbands (part member family), and all of them where busy the past week, but one of the lovely mothers asked if we had eaten and if we had another appointment the night of we told her we had free time and she said she would treat us to some dinner. She also told us to invite the sisters along so we went and met with this lovely lady. She was like mom to me...I know that sounds weird but she was stirring my noodles and kept buying more food just to make sure I was no longer hungry and the sisters didn't eat a lot so we ended up eating their food. And then the member took us to go get ice cream and tried to buy us some bread. She spent a lot of money I felt full and guilty at the same time. But she just loves the missionaries and she is just one of the best ladies in the world. I love her to bits!

There is also this week when I found a really really really nice phone on the ground and I decided to find who it belonged to. I called the "mother" on the phone and told her I found the phone she recognized I was not a Korean and asked where I was from. After that we had a really rough time understanding each other, but after 3 minutes of trying to talk over the phone. Some random teens walked by talking to two other guys about something. Elder Roberson over herd the word "phone" in Korean and went over and asked them if they had lost their phone. They said yes and walked over to me. I then gave them their phone so their mother could scold them through it. They both thank us and we gave them our cards and sent them away. 

Here is a little funny thing that happened to Elder Roberson this past week. He had passed out (fell asleep) while doing language study so I took it upon myself to make sure that he didn't do it again...you know how I did that. I place the phone next to him and told the Sister missionaries to call and ask Elder Roberson where I was. I then hid inside my closet  and waited. He picked up the phone and then went forth to look for me. After walking around the house and not finding me (it’s not a big house) he said "I think Elder Sanderson left", I then jumped out of my closet and yelled "I found it!! I FOUND IT ELDER ROBERSON" and then ran out the door screaming "I found it"... he has not fallen asleep since.  He is getting better just needs to be reminded a lot of who he is: a missionary. He still is struggling with the Korean and Japanese thing but we are getting there...

Then on Sunday, none of our investigators came to church...that led up to dropping one of them sadly. But at church one of the really happy old mamas came up to me and asked if we could visit their house and teach their child all of the lessons so he could be baptized, he is turning 8 soon and they want him to be baptized on that date. So we went, I first thought that because the child was only 7 going on 8 that he cannot handle all the lessons. Turns out I was right. But I ended up teaching him the 1st lesson and the 3rd (Jesus Gospel) and getting him ready for baptism questions and man was it rough. The mom was so thankful, and she wants us to teach him the rest just 1 lesson at a time. During the course of the week. Haha but she fed us some awesome food and we ended up playing some rounds of UNO with the family. Then we had to go. It was a good end to the Sunday.
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/images/cleardot.gif