Sunday, July 15, 2012

How much is that doggy in the window? The one with the waggily tail



Well good morrow to you family! (Get it? Because it is a day ahead in Korea)
Thank you all for writing me, I love the letters and emails!
This week we had a lot of meetings so a lot of traveling was going on. We had new president interviews with President Christensen. Really cool man.
Also this week we had dinner at the bishop’s house! His wife is an AMAZING cook! Excellent Korean food!

Also this week our church kitchen flooded...awesome. No it was kinda bad, so I ran and grabbed an ancient shop vac that was built in the 50s (and I’m pretty sure it emits radiation). We named him ol' blue (because it was old and blue), and started to suck up the water. Eventually ol' blue started to smoke! So we let him rest. While he was resting we found...BIG BERTHA the mother of all shop vacs (mainly meant for sucking up water)! We got that place sucked dry in no time!

Oh and last P-day, we went to the main shopping center of Korea, and...I bought ties!!!!!!!!! They are freaking sweet and really cheap, 2 bucks a pop! So nice, every missionaries dream.

Every Saturday we go to another area to do friendship night with other missionaries, they invite all their investigators and ward members and we try to do the same (none of our youth show). But we have fun. We have a spiritual message then we play a bunch of games. Koreans love games!

Also we have been meeting with our potentials this week and one might drops us because he is getting really busy at his work and the only time he could meet us was at lunch time. But Mr. Kim (it’s what he told us to call him), is another one of our investigators. He is 50ish. And he has turned GOLDEN. We first met him at his work. He owns and operates a Nike shoe shop. We stopped in and said hi to him and talked a bunch, then we just kept meeting with him and started to share our message. He told us how he loved that we would come to his shop (because he is always there) and just visit with him and get that personal relationship with him. On our first visit that we talked about the first lesson and we soft committed him to be baptized. Meaning that when he finds out our message is true, would he be baptized. He then told us that he loves how we didn’t beat around the bush and told him what we wanted for him. He then said that he had been thinking about it before and that he did need to get baptized, but he wants to hear our message first. He is really eager to meet with us we have already met him 4 times last week and we are scheduled to meet with him today right after P-day gets done! It just goes to show that God does work with these people and that this man that we so dearly love has been touched by God. He tells us every time we meet with him that he has been praying "in the name of Jesus Christ" (he always gets really excited when he says those words). And just two days ago he told us that whenever he meets with us, he gets a good feeling, “I don't know why" he said. That almost made me cry right then and there.

God does work with people every day, it’s hard to tell a lot of times. In Korea it’s harder. In Korea your image is really important, so when people see that you’re interested in a weird Mormon church it can do damages. But when you are able to bring that love and joy to those people they feel that need to tell people.
That's why being a member of this church is important work. I have seen it time and time again in the ward I am in here. Not a lot of people reach out to others. So a lot of them fall away and we have no way to get them back except for the missionaries. Don't get me wrong I love talking with members and trying to gather those that have gone away, but there is a certain place that the members of every ward fill. That’s why we have home teachers. If there is any way you feel like you need to be more spiritual or loving or even just wanting to feel my joy and happiness that I have when I teach people this message and bring them into the church, then put all you effort into home teaching, and loving the members. We are the church of Jesus Christ without us there would be no church. One of the final steps of a missionary’s purpose is to help others endure to the end! As members we are in some part missionaries in this church. We need to help those that are wavering endure to the end. In doing so, you will see and feel your testimony growing. If any of you are having hard times, I beg you to help others. The Lord has blessed you and I can see that. I am very grateful for that. Now is the time to bless others. Love them. Don't let your wards become like mine here, it is too sad and sometimes I can’t bare it. I am very thankful for my family, all of you; I can tell by your letters that you are doing what the Lord wants you to do. I can promise you are and will be blessed. I know that this is the Church of our Lord Jesus Christ.  
I love you all!
Keep the faith 
-Elder Beau J Sanderson